We are currently looking for a AP/SCA to join us in our Minehead home. 37.5 hours per week, to include some weekends at £8.75 to £10.95 per hour. If you are interested in finding out more about the role or to apply for the role please visit our Job Vacancies page.
Job Description: Assistant Practitioner
Reporting to: Qualified Nursing Staff
The jobholder will assist in the overall implementation and evaluation of care as part of the multi professional team. The jobholder will deliver clinical care under in-direct supervision and guidance from a registered practitioner undertaking delegated tasks within competency boundaries.
The jobholder will contribute to the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of programmes of care. The jobholder will be skilled in taking appropriate action(s) to achieve the planned outcome. To provide support for registered nurses in the maintenance of a safe clinical environment. The post holder is expected to work within a wide variety of clinical environments.
The job holder will support the assessment and supervision of trainee or new assistant practitioners and care assistants. This may include leading and co-ordinating a team of clinical support workers.
The jobholder will be expected to practice in accordance within Eastleigh Care Homes standards and statutory requirements.
The jobholder will work under in-direct supervision within a number of clinical areas.
Job Description: Senior Care Assistant
Reporting to: Qualified Nursing Staff
Deputy Home Manager
Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications
- Genuine interest in working within a caring environment
- Ability to communicate appropriately, effectively and sensitively with staff, Clients and relatives and understand the importance of accurate and timely communication within the health care environment
- Ability to work under instruction and within a team
- Satisfactory police check and check against ISA list (where applicable)
- NVQ Level 2/3, or equivalent
- Ensure that the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting/assisting Clients when required with washing, toileting, dressing, undressing, and all other aspects of daily living
- Assist Clients in all aspects of their care needs (e.g. physical, emotional and spiritual). Provide attention when needed, whilst ensuring Clients retain their comfort, dignity and independence
- Pay particular attention to assisting Clients who have limited mobility, or physical/learning difficulties, making the best use of aids provided
- Closely monitor Clients who may be confused and/or who have behavioral problems
- Assist patients to meet their nutritional and hydration needs
- Assist in the promotion of continence
- Observe care planning needs for Clients and complete accurate written/ computerised documentation as instructed and in line with the Company’s policies and procedures
- Answer nurse call system, giving assistance as required. Answer the door and telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly, and pass on messages promptly
- Carry out regular checks accurately, on Clients at intervals determined by senior staff members
- Assist in the delivery of care for Clients who are dying or who have a progressive illness
- Ensure that full privacy and dignity is maintained for the dying and bereaved, in line with Company’s policies / procedures
- Contribute to the care of the deceased person. Assist with last offices
- Assist clients who need help during meal times (be aware or swallowing difficulties, dietary requirements etc). Assist with serving of food/drinks as requested/required. If necessary wash up utensils
- If applicable, care for Clients clothing, complete light cleaning, tidy rooms and inspect/mend and launder clients clothing if necessary
- Make and change beds and empty commodes, in line with Company’s disposal of waste procedure
- Assist in the framework of social activities by interacting with the Clients and helping them to continue with hobbies and activities within the home
- Dispense medication, and ensure correct recording of all relevant information relating to medication
- Support training and supervision of care assistants, hotel service and other junior/new staff members in all aspects of their work
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Client’s personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Clients
- Promote equality for all patients
Health and Safety
- Report immediately to the Registered Manager, or senior person in charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a client, colleague, self or another
- Understand, and ensure implementation of, Eastleigh Care Homes Health and Safety policy, Emergency and Fire procedures
- Report to the Registered Manager, or the senior person in charge, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or potential hazard
- Promote safe working practice within the home
Training and Development
- Maintain professional knowledge and competence
- Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required
- Participate in relevant NVQ training to achieve required qualifications
- Undertake training identified at appraisal
- Support and take a lead with the training of new care assistants
- Be a source of information and guidance to the care assistants on the floor; redirecting where appropriate to a senior person
- Demonstrate understanding of the Care Quality Commission (CQC) guidelines in relation to your role
- Take temporary charge in the absence of the senior person in charge or their assistant
- Promote and ensure the good reputation of Eastleigh Care Homes
- Ensure that all information of a confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties. Respect confidential information obtained in the course of professional practice, refraining from disclosing such information without the consent of the client, or a person entitled to act on his/her behalf, except where disclosure is required by law or by the order of a Court or is necessary in the public interest.
- Ensure that the security of Eastleigh Care Homes is maintained at all times
- Ensure that all equipment is clean and well maintained
- Notify the Registered Manager, or senior person in charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return from all periods of absence
- Wear uniform as agreed with Eastleigh Care Homes
- Maintain personal standards of hygiene and promote universal precautions to limit cross infection
- Refer to the Registered Manager, or senior person in charge, any situation which is not within your current responsibility
- Adhere to all Company policies / procedures within the defined timescales
The post holder must devote their whole time and attention to such duties.
This job description is designed to identify the principle responsibilities of the post only, and is subject to review in the light of the changing needs of the business. It is not intended as an exhaustive list. The post holder is required to be flexible in developing the role of Senior Care Assistant to respond to new and changing demands.